Freelance copywriter South Africa. Grow your business
Let’s start with an immutable truth. A top freelance copywriter in South Africa can be expensive.
Great copywriters charge handsomely for their services, and rightly so. Why? You aren’t just paying them for a well strung sentence. You’re paying them for their years of experience. They know how to craft your business’s message into compelling copy that motivates people to become customers that buy your products and engage your services.
Therein lies the conundrum.
If the best copywriters are pricey, and you need one to grow, how can your business justify having one of the team, especially for smaller businesses?
It’s simple really. Hire a freelance copywriter South Africa. That way you can use effective communication and marketing to drive sales and grow your brand without the high costs.
Let’s look at the pluses of hiring a freelance copywriter.
Hiring a freelance copywriter in South Africa gives your business a number of advantages.
- Freelance copywriters are cost effective. Compared to hiring an in-house copywriter, freelance copywriters work remotely and charge only for the services they bring to the table. This means you avoid additional overheads like office space, benefits, and equipment. And endless cups of coffee. This is particularly true for smaller businesses that can’t justify the extra expense of a fulltime copywriter.
- They’re flexible. Freelance wordsmiths are available on a project basis. So, you can hire them for a specific project, such as creating a website or brochure, and then release them back into the wild once the project is completed.
- They’re experts. Not all of them are experts, of course. You get copywriters that specialise in tech or finance, areas where you do need one that can understand the concepts and conveys them in such a way that tech and finance professionals can relate to. This is particularly true when you’re talking on a business-to-business basis. When it comes to business to consumer, a good copywriter can be particularly useful, because now, you aren’t trying to impress like-minded and knowledgeable professionals, but rather the man, and woman, in the street. And copywriters are great at that!
- Great freelance copywriters bring fresh perspective. You’re the boss, and the expert in your field. You also know the story behind your business. Freelance copywriters don’t compete with that. They take your knowledge, craft it, with new and fresh takes on how best to say it. Freelance copywriters offer an objective view of your marketing messaging and can identify areas for improvement.
- You’ll enjoy timesaving. Let’s face it. You have a business to run. And businesses have a lot more on their plate without having to worry about how best to research and polish a sales message. You can brief a freelance copywriter and get on with the other stuff, like logistics and product and service development.
Here’s an article that goes into more depth about how your business can benefit from the services of a professional copywriter.
What to look for when hiring a freelance copywriter in South Africa.
Here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure you choose the right person for the job.
- Writing skills. Look at their portfolio of projects. A good copywriter will be happy to show the world their work on their website, demonstrating their engaging and effective copy that resonates with your target market. Be wary of writers who don’t show any examples. Take a look at my copywriting portfolio, and see for yourself
- Industry experience. Hire a copywriter with industry experience in your niche. This way you’ll be comfortable knowing that they understand your products advantages, and can match them to your audience’s desires.
- Communication skills. Insist on a copywriter who communicates clearly and effectively. You want someone and who is responsive to your needs.
- References. Visit their LinkedIn page to see what other customers have to say about them and their work.
Now let’s get down to the brass tacks: Costs.
It’s important to note that the cost of a freelance copywriter can vary depending on their level of experience, their skills, and the complexity of the project. Most freelance copywriters charge by the hour, project, or word count. But also look at the number of rounds of client revisions they allow their clients. Be sure to choose one that offers unlimited revisions, within the scope of the original brief.
Hourly rates for freelance copywriters in South Africa can range from around R200 to R600 per hour. This copywriter’s rate is R500/ hour. However, I charge a fixed price per project, so that my clients know upfront exactly what they’re paying, unlimited amends, and with no hidden increases and costs included in my final invoice.
Let’s conclude. A great freelance copywriter South Africa may be expensive but what they will bring to your business is worth far more than the rands and cents on their invoices. Think increased sales, time saving, crafted messaging, and fresh perspectives, and the quality content they provide offers you exceptional value for money.
Get in touch with a great freelance copywriter South Africa. I can help your business grow,